Wednesday, January 19, 2011

green-crowned brilliant fearlessly attacking a small viper

Photographer Bence Máté said:"I was photographing hummingbirds when I heard the sharp, alarming noise of the birds reacting to the presence of a predator. Sixty feet away from me this green-crowned brilliant was fearlessly attacking a small viper. The long shutter speed and shallow depth of field made it difficult to make an image with both animals sharp. This encounter was one of the most interesting ones I had ever seen, and I quickly set up two flashes to increase the light and shutter speed, using one flash fired from the background and another from the camera.”
Photographic information:
Camera: Nikon D700; 300mm ƒ/2.8 lens; 1/100 sec at ƒ/4; ISO 200; Canon 540EZ flash; Canon 550EX slave; Gitzo carbon tripod; Gitzo fluid head.

1 comment:

Michele said...

Gosh, that's so cool! I didn't even know the snakes got that small and and those birds even attacked them. I always thought them as gentle creatures drinking sweet nectar, but if they are defending their young or something, they'll go after anything.
Neat post!